Spirulina is a blue-green algae, and is believed to be one of the oldest life forms on Earth. It contains antioxidants, nutrients, including B vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, minerals, chlorophyll, and phycocyanobilin, commonly used as a source of vegan protein. a potent source of nutrients.
Many antioxidants in spirulina have anti-inflammatory effects on the body. The quality of the protein in spirulina is considered excellent — comparable to eggs. It gives all the essential amino acids that you need.
Spirulina is a good source of:
The A. maxima and A. platensis species were once classified in the genus Spirulina. Spirulina, scientifically called arthrospira platensis, is technically a type of bacteria.
1. Effective Against Anemia
- The older population can have either type of anemia – however, this Spirulina helped the iron-deficient kind of anemia. This needs to be pointed out because people with a B12 or Folate deficiency causing anemia may take Spirulina and thereby worsen the anemia.
2. Essential Fatty Acids
- Essential fatty acids are also known as good fats. the main function is to produce prostaglandins that control the body functions like heart rate, blood pressure, fertility, and immune system function.
- Spirulina contains essential fatty acids such as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linolenic acid (LA), stearidonic acid (SDA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA)
3. Spirulina contains Beta-Carotene
- Beta-carotene is a pigment belonging to the carotenoid family and is widely known for its antioxidant properties. It is mostly found in fruits and vegetables, imparting red, orange or yellow color to them.
4. Treatment in Allergies
- People with allergic rhinitis found several benefits for spirulina consumption, including improvement in symptoms like nasal discharge, sneezing, congestion, and itching.
5. Treatment in Depression, Anxiety
- Spirulina is a good source of folic acid which provides nourishment for the brain and supports the production of energy and blood cells. This makes it beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- People with certain mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety, may have reduced levels of serotonin. Serotonin plays an important role in mental health.
6. Lowers Blood Cholestrol
- Spirulina reduces blood cholesterol levels naturally and boosts the absorption of vital minerals.
- a molecule called SP6 in spirulina triggers relaxation of the artery, a process called vasodilatory action, which can help lower blood pressure by increasing the amount of blood pumped in one motion.
- This effect caused by nitric oxide, a chemical known for maintaining healthy blood pressure, the researchers reported.
7. Weight Loss
- Spirulina is a high-nutrient, low-calorie food that contains a lot of nutrition in a small amount of powder. Taking this supplement is beneficial while fasting, as it supplies the nutrients that are needed to cleanse and heal your system while curbing your appetite.
8. Prevents Cancer
- Several studies have proven that Spirulina can arrest the development of cancer progression, reduce the risk of cancer initiation and boost your immune system.
- Unlike animal proteins, it does not burden your body with waste products. It is also rich in phycocyanin, a pigment with anti-cancer properties.
- Phycocyanin can fight free radicals and inhibit the production of inflammatory signaling molecules, providing impressive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
9. Beneficial in Diabetes
10. Help in side effects of HIV and AIDS
- Spirulina can cure the symptoms that are a side-effect of HIV and AIDS treatment.
SKIN BENEFITS OF SPIRULINA
- Anti-Ageing Benefits – Spirulina contains tyrosine, vitamin E or tocopherol, and selenium, all of which are known for their anti-ageing effects. Tyrosine slows down the ageing of skin cells.
- Healthy Nails
- Detoxifies Skin
- Promotes Hair Growth – Besides consumption, this algae is used as an ingredient in shampoos and conditioning treatments. It also helps in hair re-growth.
HOW IT WILL BE AVAILABLE ?
Spirulina can be availed as powder, tablet and capsule.
Things to be noticed while buying Spirulina. Tablet is more safer and will not smell .If you buy capsules it is of 2 types vegetarian capsules and non vegetarian capsules.
Vegetarian Capsules made of Plant waste. It is costlier.
Non – Veg capsules are made from animal waste. It is cheaper.
Powder form will have the smell and measuring the exact quantity of consumption will be difficult.